October 21, 2008

Proverbs 31 Bible Study - Being a Wife part 1



I just love how our bible study is coming along! It is really speaking to me and I feel I am learning a lot from it. If you are interested in joining, go see Amy. Here are some thoughts she shared:

1. Our relationship with our spouse is parallel to our relationship with the Lord. God has many times compared His relationship to the body of Christ to the relationship between a husband and wife.

2. Love does not need to be felt in order to exist. It is an action.

3. Prayer is a key to a long lasting God filled marriage.

Scripture for Memory:

No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another; God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.

1 John 4:12

I love all of this. Our relationship with our husband is our most important relationship next to our relationship with God. It is that important! As a newlywed, this is important for me to hear. Right now we are working on making our relationship stronger than ever. This is a constant effort. Love is an action! People talk about falling out of love with their spouses. Well if they started acting lovingly towards their spouses, I'm pretty sure they would fall back in love. We need to stop treating our spouses as a roommate! That can be hard especially when life gets busy. If our relationship with our husband is second only to our relationship with the Lord don't you think we would make time for it. It's just like us making time for the Lord. We spend time in his word and praying and praising to Him, we need to do the equivalent with our husbands. Talk with our husbands, date night, intimacy, learning new things together, worshipping the Lord together, praying together, playing with our children, hobbies, etc. There are tons of things that we can do with our husbands. We have so many choices when it comes to building our relationship with our husband. Amy also talks about praying for our husband. I do this occasionally and need to make it more of a priority. Our husband's face such temptations when away from the home. We need to pray that they can resist. We also need to pray for their safety and things like that.

Amy wants us to ponder if we have ever consulted someone else about our marriage before God? Definitely have. Not proud of it but I am trying to improve. I have discussed my marriage with my mom and my friends. Sometimes complained, just sometimes asking for advice. I used to complain....now when I complain I think it is because I am trying to make my friends feel better when they are complaining about their spouse. I shouldn't do that. One, I shouldn't complain about my spouse to someone else and two, I am enabling my friend to do the same. I would like to work on taking my problems to God instead of other people.

I'm looking forward to part 2 which is about being submissive and other things like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by WebRing.