September 22, 2008

Menu Plan Monday


I'm sorry it's been so long since I have posted my menus. Life has been crazy and although I've been trying to plan my menus it doesn't always work out that way. I also decided to join Laura at I'm an Organizing Junkie for her Menu Plan Monday's. They have tons of great menu plans over there if you need any help with getting started. Menu planning has been a life saver to me especially since we only have about $30 a week for grocery shopping right now! It's been essential! This week Laura is hosting a Family Favorites Edition of Menu Plan Monday! We are to share one of our favorite recipes! Well this is easy for me because my new favorite recipe is for my biscuits! Tim absolutely loves them. He would have me make biscuits every day if I could! I got this recipe out of the Doubleday Cookbook, which I highly recommend! It is very thorough and has cost saving recipes, time saving recipes and healthy recipes marked to help you out! I do a variation of the original recipe to make them extra rich.

Baking Powder Biscuits:

(The recipe says that it will make 1 1/2 dozen but I make my biscuits extra thick so if we have the kids I need to double the recipe. It only makes about 6 biscuits for me but it is worth it to Tim and me!)

Ingrediants:

2 cups sifted flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powdeer
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup chilled shortening
3/4 cup milk
Milk, melted butter or margarine (optional glaze)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Sift flour with salt, baking powder and sugar into a bowl and cut in shortening with a pastry blender* until the texture of very coarse meal; make a well in center, pour in milk, and stir briskly with a fork just until dough holds together. Knead gently on a lightly floured board 7 or 8 times. Roll 1/2 inch thick** and cut in rounds with a floured biscuit cutter; reroll and cut scraps. Place on ungreased baking sheet - 1 inch apart for crusty-sided biscuits, almost touching for soft. For glistening brown tops, brush with glaze. Bake 12-15 minutes until lightly browned.

* I just use my hands to mix in the shortening
** I make my dough thicker than 1/2 inch but I can't honestly tell you how thick. It just depends. You'll have to experiment until you figure out what works for your family!

I hope you love this recipe as much as my husband and I do! Now for my menu plan this week:

Monday: Rice and Veggies

Tuesday: Shepherd's Pie

Wednesday: Stuffed Green Peppers

Thursday: Rice and Veggies

Friday: Manwiches on biscuits (recipe above) - this is my husband's favorite meal! I make the manwiches from scratch and serve them on biscuits instead of hamburger buns!

Tim gets paid on Thursday so I'll go grocery shopping on Friday for the weekend so I'm not sure what we'll have yet!
Go over to I'm an Organizing Junkie for more Menu Plan Mondays.

3 comments:

  1. I love biscuits! Your recipe sounds great. I usually use butter in my biscuits, but I'll have to try the shortening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm always looking for good biscuit recipes... I'll have to give this one a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kamailesfood:

    I love shortening because I don't have to keep it in the refrigerator and I buy a big container and it lasts a while.

    Christie:

    Thanks for taking the time to stop by my blog! I love your blog and always look forward to your new posts!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by WebRing.